Monday, June 21, 2010

unusual art // pylon // painting an awkward shape


I was recently invited to participate in a show "Shut up and Play",  featuring instrumental bands and live painting. I was lucky enough to be one of the live painters. Now mind you, I brought a proper canvas and easel, just in case, but I also brought along a "pylon" I got at a garage sale (thanks Rick!). I saw a pylon just like it at the grocery store the other day. The shape is triangular, with the base being thicker and gets thinner at the top. I decide to paint my "chandelier birds" on the pylon and use the shape with the thick part on the top and the thin as the base. Not very steady, you say? Well, right you are, as I had to be very careful not to knock it over as I painted it. The idea is, once it is completed, it will hang from the ceiling, with a light inside and become a useful piece of art. What do you think?

P.S. Ignore the messy studio all around the pylon, please. The artist is working, not cleaning. : )

1 comment:

Rick Kilby said...

Love it- I want to see more pictures!